Migration is the movement of people from one place to another with the intentions of settling, permanently or temporarily in a new location, irrespective of the reason for migration or legal status. The movement is often over long distances. Generally, a distinction is made between short term or temporary migration, covering movements of duration between three and twelve months and long term or permanent migration out of their residence for a duration of one year or more.
Kutumb defines City-makers as the semi-skilled or skilled blue collar and grey collar workers, who have been building the cities with their skills and hard work. Most of the City-makers from rural and semi urban areas are the backbone to build cities. The key sectors in urban destinations where City-makers are employed include construction, hotel, textile, manufacturing, transportation, services, domestic work etc.
Status Of Migrants
- 45 Crore Migrants in India as on 2011
- Over 17 Crore migrate for better livelihood
- Over 1 Crore Migrate annually
- 27% migrants are between 20 – 29 years
Reasons For Migration (Push Factor)
- Distressed Agriculture
- High Unemployement
- Lack of Dignity of Labour
Reasons For Migration (Pull Factor)
- India has 17 Fastest Growing Cities out of 20 Global Cities
- India has 100 SMART cities
- Better opportunities for Citymakers